Chat etiquette tips?

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Chat etiquette is essential for successful chat support, whether it’s happening via live chat on your website, SMS or social media. What are some of your best chat etiquette tips? 

Justin from the Kustomer team shares some of his thoughts here! 

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m sure many of these are well known but here’s some that come to mind: 

• Thank the customer for their contact (opening) and thank them for their support/business (closing)
  • If the customer becomes unresponsive, send a nice message to ask if they are still there and if they continue to be unresponsive, kindly inform them that you will close out the chat but please email us or chat back in if they have further questions
  • Emoji’s are a nice touch to show your personality
  • If you need time to review something in-depth or complicated, inform the customer you need some time to look things over and thank them for their patience
  • Before closing the chat, always ask “Is there anything else that we can do for you today?”
  • If an inquiry requires a follow up, ask the customer if a follow up email or call would be alright
  • Keep it short and simple with responses 
  • Keep the tone positive (i.e. avoid “we don’t” or “we can’t”) 

@dbrady I love these!  Thank you for sharing.

Badge +1

Hello @dbrady, very useful tips.

Can I challenge one of them? 

• Before closing the chat, always ask “Is there anything else that we can do for you today?”

The answer from the customer should be “no” if the job was done right and we should not be ending the chat on a negative note. The question is a good one and I prefer this formulation, to end on a positive ..

• Before closing the chat, always ask “Have I helped you with everything you need today?”

Ian