Sharing time! What is one thing you do at the start of each work day to make sure it’s a productive one? 

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

The way you start your day can have a huge influence on how the rest of it goes. I’ve been getting better at blocking off “focus time” on my calendar at the start of my day so I can have time to get through tasks with minimal distractions.

What are some of your organization and productivity strategies? Comment below! 😎

4 replies

Badge +1

Before I even get to work, I use my commute to get my head in the game. I have a “Commute Hype” playlist full of empowering songs and an hour in which to shift my mindset from Yawning to Conquering.

I typically arrive 30 minutes early unless there is a major traffic issue. I clear my desk to have a nice clean slate, get my coffee and water, adjust my seat for maximum comfort, and set up for the day.

Once I’m on the clock:

• Read, answer and catalogue emails
  • Gather, record and chart data from the previous business day - check for patterns and deviations
  • Clean up leftover tickets that were resolved but not closed
  • Search systems for signs of problems that may impact the day - escalate and resolve
  • Open Microsoft Planner and get to work on the day’s projects, in order of urgency

I tried Focus Time and for me personally, it was detrimental. I tend to be more productive when I am pulled away frequently enough to prevent my task from becoming tedious, so I maintain an open door policy and pause tasks at natural stopping points as needed.

If there are no distractions to break the monotony, then semi-regular breaks are also very helpful. When I get up for more coffee, for instance, I spend about 5 minutes just walking to clear my head and get the blood flowing. I might pause a task and move onto another one prematurely, then come back later.

(Your Mileage May Vary)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mine is short and sweet: Exercise! 

When I exercise before I start my work day, I have better energy levels, I’m well hydrated, and I don’t have to worry about finding time to work out during my shift or after shift. 

Badge +1

Collect all the wins from the team in the past week and post them every Monday in the first half in a way that it doesn’t makes you feel good, but makes the team feel appreciated and all boosted for the week too!

I read. When the weather is nice, I sit outside. Reading a little bit every day helps you gain knowledge that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to - especially if you read certain books pertaining to your area of focus.